Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Cafeteria Blues

The cafeteria is my least favorite place on campus. There are just too many people who move around too much and make too much noise, and I get overstimulated, tired and agitated, very quickly. Adding to my stress, the cafe makes it hard for me to stick to my strict gluten-free, and now dairy-free, diet because of all the temptations and variety, most of which is toxic to me. Furthermore, causing some anxiety is the possibility of eating something with hidden ingredients that may make me ill.

But, I try to make the best of it. My friend and I go either as soon as it opens or just before it closes, when most students haven't gotten there yet, or after they've already left. Each time, I bypass the pizza and pasta station without paying it much attention and proceed to scan the traditions' selection. If I don't see plain rice or potatoes, I keep moving, towards the vegetarian station, which, thankfully, offers rice for many meals, but it is usually fried or has some kind of funky seasoning that may or may not make me bloated, alter my mood for the next couple of hours, or give me acne, so I'm always fearful. But I must still be in the rebellious stage of my new diet, because sometimes I eat it anyway and spend half the day worrying about what was in it.

If I really want to be careful, I head over to old reliable, the salad bar, the boring yet comfortable friend who is always there when I need her. I pile the lettuce and spinach onto my plate, and top it with various colorful additions, sometimes cucumber and tomato, carrots, chick peas, kidney beans and hard boiled eggs. As I walk by, I stare longingly at the dressings, and give my old friend cottage cheese a look that says, "I miss you, but we both know I can't have you," and reluctantly I walk back to my table, dodging bodies swarming towards me from each and every direction.

3 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying your blog. There is a comfortable tone here, as you take us through your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very well-written. It's so interesting to hear so much about your challenges. You're excellent at hitting the universals. Cottage cheese & I have a similar relationship as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to say this Cassie, but...I Am Your Worst Nightmare. I am treated for ADHD (you'd never believe how productive stimulants can make the brain!), but will always have it in my personality. My desk is the worst part of my room. My bed is never made. My thoughts are so disconnected and unfinished I have a hard time writing papers. I love crowds. I have a harder time concentrating in familiar places, like my room. I get bored of things fast, I have to multitask by doing a little physical thing like doodling to pay attention to a lecture, I'm random, I'm a little bit impulsive, I'm overly friendly, I have a rude sense of humor (one of my best friendships on campus consists of making fun of each other and aggressively playing card games), I rarely ever get offended and think people who do need to grow some spine, and I am as blunt as a brand new pencil. I hope you never get anyone like me as a roommate. =]
    I am, however, really into psychology, handle people well, am very respectful once I know your annoyances, very understanding and accepting, enjoy all manners of diversity, and am extremely sensitive to seeing people in pain. I watched Hotel Rwanda last semester and cried through the entire movie while the football players shifted uncomfortably in their seats. Just to let you know I'm not completely demonic.

    ReplyDelete